12/02/07 02:17 AM
12/02/07 02:17 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Caught this rainbow after an afternoon thunderstorm near Arches National Park in Utah. It was a great combination of weather, light and clouds. Even caught some of the secondary bow in this one. Let me know what you think.

Re: Utah desert prism [Re: glamson] #11824
12/02/07 09:48 AM
12/02/07 09:48 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I can't really critique this as I think it is really beautiful. I like all the elements of it!

Re: Utah desert prism [Re: Julie] #11825
12/02/07 04:33 PM
12/02/07 04:33 PM
Arizona
daveman Offline
Old hand
daveman  Offline
Old hand

Arizona
I agree. I really like the way you captured the light on the grass in the foreground, and the way the cliffs seem to glow. I assume this was late evening / early morning.

Really nice.

Dave

See my stuff here davedilli.zenfolio.com
Re: Utah desert prism [Re: glamson] #11826
12/04/07 05:25 PM
12/04/07 05:25 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Julie and Dave,

Thanks for the positive feedback. It really was a magical moment. And yes Dave it was late afternoon after some big thunder bumpers went through.

Geo

Re: Utah desert prism [Re: glamson] #11827
12/04/07 06:32 PM
12/04/07 06:32 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi George,

I apologize that I did not say something earlier. What a magical shot - very serendipitous and well done. The light is warm and shows off the rich colors of the rocks. It is the addition of the clouds and two rainbows though that turn this "nice" scenic into something quite remarkable.

James

Re: Utah desert prism [Re: James Morrissey] #11828
01/01/08 04:42 PM
01/01/08 04:42 PM
Hyde Park Ut.
R
RobK Offline
Wanderer
RobK  Offline
Wanderer
R

Hyde Park Ut.
A + perfect !!!!!!!!

Re: Utah desert prism [Re: RobK] #11829
01/03/08 01:40 PM
01/03/08 01:40 PM
Southern Ohio USA
Randall Offline
Traveler
Randall  Offline
Traveler

Southern Ohio USA
This is the kind of shot everybody wants to capture
Great Work
Randall

Randall-FINE ART -- FOR THE HOME AND OFFICE[url=http://:fineartamerica.com/shop/randallbranham.html
Re: Utah desert prism [Re: Randall] #11830
01/03/08 02:48 PM
01/03/08 02:48 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Wow, I like the color and the mood. And the landscape is awesome, it a bit intimidating too, it's sooo big, but I think you did a nice job with it. I think you did a good job in PS with it, not really all that over done, although a little grainy in the clouds, it's okay but could use some NR.

It's a strange crop, maybe a pano or you cropped into the original. I'm a little disturbed by the shot angle and the crop, and the lack of subject focus, not image focus, but there's no main subject (maybe its that all the strong elements in the shot are competing with one another - this happens to me all the time with big vistas and remarkable landscapes). It looks like it's a landscape shot with several very nice elements together (the mesa, the small cumulus clouds, the storm cloud in the upper left, the two rainbows, and the vast expanse) but something is missing, either it's too loose and I'm falling off the edges or it's the "wrong" angle, or the "wrong" crop, or something I cant place my finger on it, but it does not allow me to fee free and comfortable, which is what I think youre trying to achieve given the rainbows and the lighting.

I look at the shot, I see the mesa, then the clouds in the upper left, then the rainbow, then the clouds in the upper right, them after that, I'm feeling a little cut off at the knees, and left wondering around feeling a little lost in the shot.

I know that sounds critical, but I'm trying to describe for you how it makes me feel.

Overall its a very nice capture.

Overall it's a wall hanger, if it were mine, I'd try a little stronger crop, particularly on the left side. Or, I may put back some of the foreground, if there is any in the original. I like it, but it needs to be tighter. . . and I think a tighter crop might help.

That said, you may lose the appeal or the feeling that you wanted by cropping it a bit more. Try it and see. . .

Re: Utah desert prism [Re: Tony Bynum] #11831
01/03/08 07:17 PM
01/03/08 07:17 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

Wow, I like the color and the mood. And the landscape is awesome, it a bit intimidating too, it's sooo big, but I think you did a nice job with it. I think you did a good job in PS with it, not really all that over done, although a little grainy in the clouds, it's okay but could use some NR.

It's a strange crop, maybe a pano or you cropped into the original. I'm a little disturbed by the shot angle and the crop, and the lack of subject focus, not image focus, but there's no main subject (maybe its that all the strong elements in the shot are competing with one another - this happens to me all the time with big vistas and remarkable landscapes). It looks like it's a landscape shot with several very nice elements together (the mesa, the small cumulus clouds, the storm cloud in the upper left, the two rainbows, and the vast expanse) but something is missing, either it's too loose and I'm falling off the edges or it's the "wrong" angle, or the "wrong" crop, or something I cant place my finger on it, but it does not allow me to fee free and comfortable, which is what I think youre trying to achieve given the rainbows and the lighting.

I look at the shot, I see the mesa, then the clouds in the upper left, then the rainbow, then the clouds in the upper right, them after that, I'm feeling a little cut off at the knees, and left wondering around feeling a little lost in the shot.

I know that sounds critical, but I'm trying to describe for you how it makes me feel.

Overall its a very nice capture.

Overall it's a wall hanger, if it were mine, I'd try a little stronger crop, particularly on the left side. Or, I may put back some of the foreground, if there is any in the original. I like it, but it needs to be tighter. . . and I think a tighter crop might help.

That said, you may lose the appeal or the feeling that you wanted by cropping it a bit more. Try it and see. . .

Tony,

There is no cropping done for this one. This is a situation when the landscape was just too big for the 18mm (28mm equiv) that I was using. I had to frame this in the camera to try to catch the magnificent sky and rainbow and still catch the mesa and some of the ground to maintain the perspective. This was definitely the time for a 10-20mm UWA lens (the next lens I'm going to buy). I wanted to do a panorama of this but right after I took this shot, and I mean withing 30 sec, the rainbow disappeared. In fact, the total duration of this scene was only about 3 minutes. Talk about being rushed, this was it. I'm just happy I was in the right place at the right time.

As far a subject goes, I agree that there are alot of competing elements. I guess my take is that you just don't get these opportunities very often and you just have to take the image as a whole for what I believe was a beautiful natural phenomenon that I was lucky enough to witness and record.

BTW: You are correct about the noise in the clouds. This was due to some underexposure of the sky. I have already applied as much selective NR as I dared without compromising the rainbow. All in all it was a very high pressured shot and I'm grateful that it came out as well as it did.

Thanks for the feedback.

Geo

Re: Utah desert prism [Re: glamson] #11832
01/03/08 11:03 PM
01/03/08 11:03 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Hey, I'd be proud of it, like I said I was being critical!

But I do have a question, if it's not a crop, what camera are you using, that dimension looks a bit wide for a nikon . . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 168 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics629
Posts993
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer