01/03/08 11:47 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

Hey, I'd be proud of it, like I said I was being critical!

Tony,
No problem being a little critical here. After all it's the "critique" forum. I think all your comments are valid.

Quote:

But I do have a question, if it's not a crop, what camera are you using, that dimension looks a bit wide for a nikon . . . .

This one was with my D70. You caught me here. I checked the dimensions and it's actually 50 pixels short of the standard 3:2. I guess I did crop a little off the sky.

Re: Utah desert prism [Re: glamson] #11834
01/04/08 03:25 PM
01/04/08 03:25 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Based on what you captured this is a very nice shot. I know that sometimes you have little time to react before things change and magic moments disappear. So…lets start out with a congrats on a wonderful capture.

With that in mind…let’s split some hairs.

The light captured is pretty darned good. It seems a little…um…non dynamic. Did you slightly under expose this and bring the exposure back up? That sometimes flattens out the light a smidge.

Colors are pretty darned good…nice yellowish slight hue like later light…the sky is a pleasant blue…the clouds reflect accurate grays and whites.

Composition….this is where that wonderful time factor comes in….I don’t know how much time you had…if you had a vehicle…etc. If you had both….I would have taken this shot….but then I would have moved to the right in this picture to see if I could get the beginning of the rainbows arc a little more to the left…..with the rock centered….and cropped it a little tighter…

If I knew that where I was ended up being a fleeting moment…after getting this shot, I would have also tried a little longer lens and getting a tighter crop on just the lower part of the rainbow and some detail of the red rocks.

As it sits…it is a great picture of a wonderful moment…but the composition is just a little weighted to the right is all.

Nice work George!!!

Roman

Utah desert prism - 4Roman [Re: RomanJohnston] #11835
01/04/08 05:13 PM
01/04/08 05:13 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

Based on what you captured this is a very nice shot. I know that sometimes you have little time to react before things change and magic moments disappear. So…lets start out with a congrats on a wonderful capture.

With that in mind…let’s split some hairs.

The light captured is pretty darned good. It seems a little…um…non dynamic. Did you slightly under expose this and bring the exposure back up? That sometimes flattens out the light a smidge.

Colors are pretty darned good…nice yellowish slight hue like later light…the sky is a pleasant blue…the clouds reflect accurate grays and whites.

Composition….this is where that wonderful time factor comes in….I don’t know how much time you had…if you had a vehicle…etc. If you had both….I would have taken this shot….but then I would have moved to the right in this picture to see if I could get the beginning of the rainbows arc a little more to the left…..with the rock centered….and cropped it a little tighter…

If I knew that where I was ended up being a fleeting moment…after getting this shot, I would have also tried a little longer lens and getting a tighter crop on just the lower part of the rainbow and some detail of the red rocks.

As it sits…it is a great picture of a wonderful moment…but the composition is just a little weighted to the right is all.

Nice work George!!!

Roman

Roman,

Thanks for the positive feedback. You probably missed my response to Tony which explains the very tight time contraints I had on this pic. Here it is

Quote:

Tony,

There is no cropping done for this one. This is a situation when the landscape was just too big for the 18mm (28mm equiv) that I was using. I had to frame this in the camera to try to catch the magnificent sky and rainbow and still catch the mesa and some of the ground to maintain the perspective. This was definitely the time for a 10-20mm UWA lens (the next lens I'm going to buy). I wanted to do a panorama of this but right after I took this shot, and I mean withing 30 sec, the rainbow disappeared. In fact, the total duration of this scene was only about 3 minutes. Talk about being rushed, this was it. I'm just happy I was in the right place at the right time.

As far a subject goes, I agree that there are alot of competing elements. I guess my take is that you just don't get these opportunities very often and you just have to take the image as a whole for what I believe was a beautiful natural phenomenon that I was lucky enough to witness and record.

BTW: You are correct about the noise in the clouds. This was due to some underexposure of the sky. I have already applied as much selective NR as I dared without compromising the rainbow. All in all it was a very high pressured shot and I'm grateful that it came out as well as it did.

Sometimes you just have to take what nature gives you.

BTW Roman, how is that evaluation of the D300 coming. I'm about ready to buy one but I swore I would not buy it for 2 months after it's release, just to avoid any early production glitches like there were with the BGLOD with the D70 and "banding" with the D200. I would really be interested in your opinion.

Thanks again,

Geo

Re: Utah desert prism - 4Roman [Re: glamson] #11836
01/04/08 05:31 PM
01/04/08 05:31 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
I've got about 5000 shots on my d300 and I cant find anything more than the cold weather issues with the enel3e batteries. In fact, I love the camera, it even feels different than the d2's and the d200. I've got the grip on it and now I'm using my d2 battery (enel4) and it seems to hold up better in the cold. . . although I've not used it in sub zero yet, but I will, rest assured!

Re: Utah desert prism - 4Roman [Re: Tony Bynum] #11837
01/04/08 05:42 PM
01/04/08 05:42 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

I've got about 5000 shots on my d300 and I cant find anything more than the cold weather issues with the enel3e batteries. In fact, I love the camera, it even feels different than the d2's and the d200. I've got the grip on it and now I'm using my d2 battery (enel4) and it seems to hold up better in the cold. . . although I've not used it in sub zero yet, but I will, rest assured!

Tony,

Glad to hear you are happy with your D300. Hope that new battery solves the sub zero problem. Lucky for me, that is not a problem I'll have to deal with.

Geo

Re: Utah desert prism - 4Roman [Re: glamson] #11838
01/04/08 06:12 PM
01/04/08 06:12 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
have you been reading all the articles on the d300? Most reviews are saying that it's really a better camera than the d2x.

Re: Utah desert prism - 4Roman [Re: Tony Bynum] #11839
01/04/08 07:06 PM
01/04/08 07:06 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

have you been reading all the articles on the d300? Most reviews are saying that it's really a better camera than the d2x.

Yes, I've been reading until it gives me a headache. I was kind of hoping that DPR would have their review out by now. I always like to read Phil's reviews before I commit. So far the D3/D300 is about the smoothest release that Nikon has had. 95% of the things I read are positive and make it clear this will be a significant step up for me from my D200. My self imposed waiting period is just about up and I will probably make the plunge in the next two weeks (assuming I can find it in stock).

Re: Utah desert prism - 4Roman [Re: glamson] #11840
03/02/08 01:03 AM
03/02/08 01:03 AM
California, USA
J
Jeff Tangen Offline
Wanderer
Jeff Tangen  Offline
Wanderer
J

California, USA
George, that is some shot. Exposure is very good throughout entire image. I was in the Arches last July/Aug and caught some fantastic clouds.

www.winephoto.smugmug.com

Jeff Tangen
Re: Utah desert prism - 4Roman [Re: glamson] #11841
03/11/08 10:36 PM
03/11/08 10:36 PM
CA
M
Mark_Micallef Offline
Wanderer
Mark_Micallef  Offline
Wanderer
M

CA
Beautiful shot, great lighting color and skies.

~Mark My junk
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics629
Posts993
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer