05/12/09 02:55 PM
05/12/09 02:55 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Gosh Jim...If 1.4 @ 6400ISO with a D3 doesn't do it I don't see a lot of alternatives other than more light.

Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: DavidRamey] #22705
05/12/09 06:48 PM
05/12/09 06:48 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
David, Jim,
when you see what they do with strobes in the rafters at indoor horse shows, you begin to understand where dog Agility may have to go to get decent shots. Although putting some photo floods out might work too. I'm just not into climbing up into the beams and ceilings of most of those venues.

Just because it's always been done without strobes doesn't mean you can't change it. I think the issue is on-camera strobes rather than stuff placed high to illuminate the entire space. Same goes for sporting events such as hockey and basketball so it's been done. And those events have comparatively wonderful lighting!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: Jim Poor] #22706
05/12/09 06:54 PM
05/12/09 06:54 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Jim,
that's a very small buy-rate for a whole lot of work both at the show and in post-processing. That was my issue with Agility events when I was shooting them -- I love doing it but the income stream just didn't add up to the time investment for me. At Conformation shows, I sell at the 80-90% level so I can pretty much predict my income from the number of separate win setups I get. Agility is all performance-based and if you get it, great. But if you don't, oh well!

I envy people like David who are not only good at it but are good at making it pay off from a marketing perspective. It's very hard work and prying money out of the hands of Performance Dog People is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do . Good luck.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: Jim Garvie] #22707
05/12/09 06:58 PM
05/12/09 06:58 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Jim,
AKC and I did an experiment in a horse barn up here several years ago with strobes mounted in the ceiling just like you would strobe a basketball arena. Watching the video of the dogs running agility, most dogs didn't notice the strobe going off, BUT a few froze each time the strobe went off. Since agility is a timed event, the strobes were deemed not usable. There is a reason why flash and strobes are not allowed. Flash is not allowed so that you don't blind the dog with the flash and strobes are not allowed because it does effect the dogs performance. If I had not been a part of this experiment, I would not have believed that the strobes would have effected the dogs.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: Jim Garvie] #22708
05/12/09 07:03 PM
05/12/09 07:03 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Virginia, USA
Thanks Jim,

When I get my on-site sales solution in place, I hope to get up to the 80% mark too. I'm going to have to start smaller than I'd like on "viewing stations" and such but I think the momentum will build.

I really like the shows that let me set up a portrait space during evenings and down time. Those tend to do well.

I just don't think I would enjoy conformation enough do well there.

Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: Jim Poor] #22709
05/12/09 07:14 PM
05/12/09 07:14 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
I don't know how well I will be doing this coming weekend for my first agility event of the year. The computer serving my viewing stations just lost a motherboard and processor and by the time I upgrade and rebuild the system, I will have to spend $1500.00. Normally this isn't a problem, but I haven't worked since having the heart attack in January and my finances aren't there for me to spend or borrow. I will see how badly I do with orders from just the web site. (I am guessing about 10% of the orders that I normally do.)

David Ramey Photography
Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: DavidRamey] #22710
05/12/09 08:44 PM
05/12/09 08:44 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
David,
sorry about the computer stuff. Yup, Agility is about immediacy and delivery. When you cut down on the viewing stations, you cut down on sales. It's inevitable.

While I wouldn't wish Conformation on my worst enemy, at least it hasn't gotten to the stage of having to post images every day. A few years ago, folks wanted onsite viewing and onsite delivery of the prints. It didn't take long for those people to figure out that post-production made the overall image MUCH better. My personal opinion is that the more we give people immediate response to their need for information, the more we compromise our ability to deliver a quality product. In a Twitter world, I know that's heresy but when it comes to delivering a quality product, tomorrow is soon enough.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: DavidRamey] #22711
05/13/09 08:04 AM
05/13/09 08:04 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Virginia, USA
Wow, that sucks. I hear you on the disposable $$ at the moment though.

I've been brainstorming ways to take advantage of the impulse buy at these events using pre-paid credits or something of the sort. That way, I don't get roped into on-site proofing as much yet, but still get some sales at the event.

Quote:

I don't know how well I will be doing this coming weekend for my first agility event of the year. The computer serving my viewing stations just lost a motherboard and processor and by the time I upgrade and rebuild the system, I will have to spend $1500.00. Normally this isn't a problem, but I haven't worked since having the heart attack in January and my finances aren't there for me to spend or borrow. I will see how badly I do with orders from just the web site. (I am guessing about 10% of the orders that I normally do.)

Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: DavidRamey] #22712
05/13/09 10:46 AM
05/13/09 10:46 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Quote:

David,

Good luck at your show, and take care of yourself.

Re: Indoor agility & High ISO [Re: psmith] #22713
05/13/09 11:49 AM
05/13/09 11:49 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
David, all these people know you right? I bet your sales will be good. One thing you might want to try is an early order discount. It gives urgency to the purchase. Otherwise, they sit on it and forget. 15% is enough to drive people to buy within a 10-14 day period.

I know the sales are still better at the event, but, this might help

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 168 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics629
Posts993
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer