The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Jack attack

Posted By: BAP

Jack attack - 01/03/07 07:52 PM

Hi everyone. I am about a month away from oficially starting my own business (scary stuff). But in the mean time I am doing pet shoots when I have the time. This last shoot was very interesting, it was the first time I have ever shot a Jack Russell in a studio setting. This was one of the most challenging pet shoots that I have ever done, I now know the true meaning of Jack Attack.

I would also like to welcome the new people that have joined in the recent weeks. I look forward to seeing everyones work and trading ideas.

Posted By: roley

Re: Jack attack - 01/04/07 12:29 AM

Excellent shots! Having owned and bred Jacks, I am sure the owner will be thrilled with these very rare moments of stillness you have frozen in time:)

Can I ask what sort of background and lighting you are using to achieve the reflection, or this done in pp?

Michelle

Re: Jack attack - 01/04/07 03:04 AM

Thank you for the comments Roley. Yes the owner is very happy with the shots.

I got the reflection by placing a sheet of plexi glass over top of the seamless white paper. Not only does this create a reflection, it also saves my paper from getting destroyed.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Jack attack - 01/04/07 05:19 AM

Hey Brian,

I was just about to ask about the reflection myself. Do you think that a piece of lucite plastic would do the same thing?

Also, the one critique that I will add is that it seems to be so wonderful to have the reflections that we would not see more use of them in the series you are taking...for example, the 2nd and 3rd shots, I am longing for a bit more of the reflection...particularly after seeing how awesome shots 1 and 4 are.

Thanks for sharing!
James

Re: Jack attack - 01/04/07 06:17 AM

Hey James

As far as I know, plexiglass and lucite plastic are actually just different brands of acrylic plastic. So they should be virtually identical.

I agree 3 and 4 would look better with more of the reflection, but the owner wanted some closeup shots of the the dog as well. Just out of curiousity, do you find the part reflection on 3 and 4 distracting. I had debated doing these type of shots without any reflection but the owner was very pleased with the reflection so I decided to keep her happy.

Brian

Re: Jack attack - 01/04/07 06:20 AM

Sorry, on the last post I meant to ask if you find the reflections on # 2 and 3 distracting, not 3 and 4.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Jack attack - 01/04/07 06:21 AM

I just adore the photo on the right!
Great job.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Jack attack - 01/04/07 02:50 PM

I love the reflections in 1 and 4! Almost a double exposure effect

Re: Jack attack - 01/04/07 05:22 PM

Thanks for the comments PeggySue and Julie. Here is another shot, I would really like to know what people think of this one. The owner wanted a photo of both of her dogs together, I hope she is happy with this one.

Re: Jack attack - 01/05/07 11:28 AM

Hey Brian,

I kind of do find #2 and #3 distracting - only in that I keep getting drawn to the cool reflection effect. Is it too much so? No, I don't think so - but part of me, in retrospect, would want to do the session with part of which on normal background.

You have gotten me started, BTW, I definitely want to pick up a piece of lucite. May I ask how big your piece is that you are using?

James

lucite - 01/07/07 12:13 AM

Hey James

My piece of plexi glass is 4' x 8'. Better to have extra room than not enough. It is quite amazing how expensive this stuff is though.
Posted By: chezzyr

Re: lucite - 01/07/07 05:47 PM

These are clever and I like #1 and #4 the most. I too have been experimenting with some 'reflections' in my photos, bit of a different method but you have inspired me. Thanks!

Re: lucite - 01/07/07 09:02 PM

"It is quite amazing how expensive this stuff is though. "

May I ask how much you payed for it and where you picked it up from? I know that Lowes sells this sort of thing in different thicknesses.

James

Re: lucite - 01/11/07 03:27 PM

Hey James

I think I paid about $70 canadian for 4' by 8' piece of plexi glass. The thickness is only important if you are placing it on a plush carpet. I find if you have a thin piece on a fluffy carpet, the wieght of the subject can bend the plexiglass a little bit which creates a weird reflection. If your placing it on a hard surface, you can get away with any thickness.

Brian
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum