12/11/05 11:47 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

These are some shots that I took today during a shoot. Sometimes you get things you expect...sometimes...not. This was an INCREDIBLY cute dog - I am not even sure it was a dog, really. I think she had a wind-up mechanism in the back. My one minor quibble - Pete is right - a reflector would help some of the shots..otherwise, I am quite pleased.

-JM

Re: Sam What Am [Re: James Morrissey] #1286
12/12/05 09:20 AM
12/12/05 09:20 AM
Canada
D
Duane Offline
Journeyman
Duane  Offline
Journeyman
D

Canada
Boy, he really doesn't like that stuffed bear, eh? LOL

Great shots - While technically I'm sure it is true...99% of pet owners would think shots like that are perfect - reflector, schmeflector...

My blog book is at my Online Marketing blog.
Re: Sam What Am [Re: Duane] #1287
12/12/05 03:30 PM
12/12/05 03:30 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Duane,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I have become much more critical of myself since starting this forum. I am enjoying myself very much and I am very excited about my recent adventures in pet photography. I have not gotten this excited about something in years. Pet Photography requires a very different skill set than my wedding photography and I am eager to continue with it. However, I am also a bit of a nut and want to make sure that the shots are perfect - particularly when I plan on selling them as part of my business...so I am NOT above some criticism as a means of making things the way I want them to.

Again, thanks for the kind words!
James

Re: Sam What Am [Re: Duane] #1288
12/12/05 04:15 PM
12/12/05 04:15 PM
Wiltshire, England
PeteD Offline
Tracker
PeteD  Offline
Tracker

Wiltshire, England
Quote:

Great shots - While technically I'm sure it is true...99% of pet owners would think shots like that are perfect - reflector, schmeflector...

I know that this was said in jest and I don't want to sound like a moany fart but we have to strive for perfection - always. Its one thing to take pictures on location and have to deal with an imperfect light or a shot that isn't quite sharp. But in the studio I don't think there are any excuses. I love these shots James, especially 1 & 6 but I'm pleased that you acknowledge a reflector would improve things a bit. Its what sets us apart from the other people out there who call themselves photographers.

I've deleted this email and rewritten it about half a dozen times as I don't want to appear inflamatory. Hope this is ok!

Regards PaparazziPete www.marlboroughphoto.co.uk
Re: Sam What Am [Re: PeteD] #1289
12/13/05 01:48 AM
12/13/05 01:48 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Pete,

Thank you very much for the compliments. I have come to respect your opinion greatly over the time you have been here. I also understand the desire for perfection in your work. Your passion is one of the things that really makes this an art. I don't think Duane was being anything more than tongue and cheek with his comments.

Anyway, back to the shoot. I was very happy about these images. They are the first of a series I did this weekend. What made them a bit more difficult than normal was that I was shooting off location. I have several others - but I am hesitant to post the ones with the dog and her owner yet. Once I have the OK, I will add a few extras. This dog was a total fire cracker and hard to keep posed for long.

-JM

PS I also have a Border Collie that I photographed this weekend which I will add later this week. I am focusing on getting Darrell Gulin's interview up ASAP first followed by a review of Steve Kossack's DVD.

Re: Sam What Am [Re: James Morrissey] #1290
12/13/05 08:29 AM
12/13/05 08:29 AM
Long Island, NY
C
Chris_A Offline
Journeyman
Chris_A  Offline
Journeyman
C

Long Island, NY
I think these came out GREAT! You're really experimenting and succeeding! My only nit would be the white stuffed animal in the last shot, as it blends too much with the background, muddying the shot a little. Looking forward to more!

-Chris
Re: Sam What Am [Re: Chris_A] #1291
12/13/05 10:37 AM
12/13/05 10:37 AM
Canada
D
Duane Offline
Journeyman
Duane  Offline
Journeyman
D

Canada
You're both bang-on gents - I do agree with you, Pete, however, on your statement about striving for the best every time. That kind of committment shows in the work.

I can't recall how many shots I've taken and dismissed for any number of reasons - in the end, I simply think they aren't "the best" I could have done.

Border Collie, eh James - that's energy-on-demand right there! Any chance for some frisbee-in-the-air shots? Or is he/she not that sort of BC?

I'm actually getting antsy now as I really want to just rush out and buy my new camera gear, but I'm determined to wait until after Christmas...then I go home and see my dogs and...well, you know...LOL

My blog book is at my Online Marketing blog.
Re: Sam What Am [Re: Duane] #1292
12/13/05 11:02 AM
12/13/05 11:02 AM
Wisconsin
J
JAJohnson Offline
Wanderer
JAJohnson  Offline
Wanderer
J

Wisconsin
Wonderful Shoot James!!! #6 is so so sweet... really like #1, all are great... sometimes when reflectors are forgotten you can give the eyes of the animal a little pop in PS...
thanks for sharing these...

JAJ

Re: Sam What Am [Re: JAJohnson] #1293
12/14/05 08:14 AM
12/14/05 08:14 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi JA,

I am eager to hear your technique. My problem is that while I am very good at lightening objects by using layers that the paintbrush over the areas I am darkening looks odd against the fur...i.e. on a bride's dress with seams and edges, it is really easy. The dog's coat is continuous though and it makes it much harder for me. If you have tips, I will be glad to hear them.

-JM

Re: Sam What Am [Re: James Morrissey] #1294
12/15/05 01:44 PM
12/15/05 01:44 PM
L
Loopman Offline
Venturer
Loopman  Offline
Venturer
L

I think that these are great. #5 and #6 are my favorites though #7 is very funny.

Lou

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 288 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer