07/04/23 10:54 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

James Morrissey shares his love of lighthouses.

[Linked Image]
Nubble Lighthouse, Maine

Re: Of Dunsels and Lighthouses [Re: James Morrissey] #43958
07/04/23 11:19 PM
07/04/23 11:19 PM
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

It is a known fact that I will drive a long distance to photograph a lighthouse that I have never been to. What exactly is it that I love about lighthouses? After all, one can argue that they really have lost a lot of practical value and that we are served better with many other common tools (like the GPS) and that they are essentially just dunsels. There. I used the term 'dunsel,' and I have nerded myself. So if they have lost much of their practical application in today's world, why is it that so many of us are drawn to them? What is it about them symbolically that keeps us enthralled?

[Linked Image]
Fire Island Light, Long Island, New York

Lighthouses evoke a sense of nostalgia and romance, harkening back to the bygone era. They symbolize a connection to the past, reminding us of the strength and resilience of those who took care of those beacons. In a world of rapid change, lighthouses serve as anchors, providing a sense of stability and continuity. The sense of romance is also undeniable - and is perhaps one of the reasons why you see so many that have been converted into bed and breakfasts. Is that why I love lighthouses??? I don't think so.

[Linked Image]
Grótta Island Lighthouse, Iceland

While lighthouses no longer have the same role guiding ships through treacherous waters, they do convey a sense of safety and security. Deep within our psyches, I think that we all crave a feeling of safety and security. Lighthouses embody these desires, representing a guiding light amidst the darkness. Even if we no longer rely on them for navigation, their mere presence reassures us that there are beacons of support and protection in our lives. Is it possible that this makes me feel such a connection to them??? No...I don't think that feels right either.

[Linked Image]
East Quoddy Lighthouse, Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada

Beyond their physical purpose, lighthouses represent a metaphorical illumination of our inner selves. They inspire introspection, urging us to explore our inner depths and navigate the often tumultuous waters of our emotions. Lighthouses encourage us to shine our own light, to embrace our unique brilliance and guide others along their own journeys. Essentially, lighthouses serve as powerful metaphors for our individual journeys through life. Like ships sailing through stormy seas, we encounter obstacles and challenges along our path. Lighthouses remind us to stay steadfast, providing hope and guidance as we navigate the uncharted waters of our own existence. That actually rings a bell with me, but you know...it is still not the reason why I think I am so connected to them.

[Linked Image]
Statue of Liberty, New York City, New York

One can argue that I am drawn to lighthouses because of all of these deep psychological concepts they represent. They connect us to our past, provide a sense of safety, inspire personal growth, and captivate our senses. But is this really it? No. Truth be told, I have practically no interest in any of the mushy philosophical stuff. I see the lighthouse as merely photographic low hanging fruit that gives different sections of our vast coastline something of interest to latch on. They are just beautiful beacons in and of themselves - particularly if their lights are on. Also, when their lights are functional, they are frequently beautiful from both the direct view (sun light is directly on the foreground) and in silhouette. But that's me.

[Linked Image]
Mulholland Point Lighthouse, Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada

Honestly, I can see why lighthouses are so important to people, even if their practical application is limited in today's technological world. So, let us continue to cherish these magnificent structures, not merely as relics of a bygone era or as the as guardians of our collective psyche, but because they are often beautiful things in and of themselves that make help make our wonderful shorelines even more distinctive and providing a sense of historic hand of man that has been lost in so much of our modern world.

[Linked Image]
Bass Harbor Lighthouse, Acadia National Park, Maine

Thanks for coming along this trip down memory lane with some of my favorite lighthouse images. Like it and want to see some more? Come join our Facebook Group - a really friendly place to enjoy nature, wildlife and pet photography.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nwpphotoforum/

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 483 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer